Back to top
  • A prime yet discreet location at the heart of Central Business District
    St. George's Building
    A prime yet discreet location at the heart of Central Business District
St Georges Bldg
St. George's Building

A Bronze Tower in the City of Victoria

‘Bronze, as a colour close to gold, gives an aura of luxury. Used in such vast array as on the new St. George’s Building, Hong Kong, its effect is almost Babylonian. The 275 ft. high building is entirely clad in bronze-coloured aluminium curtain walling, set with bronze-tinted glass spandrels. This glass is backed with aluminium net curtains to reflect sunlight and reduce the heat load.’ Far East Builder, 1969

St. George’s Building: A Brief Portrait

First built in 1904 on land reclaimed by the Praya Reclamation Scheme, St. George’s Building has long intertwined with the history of Central District and the wider economic-architectural development of Hong Kong.

St. George’s Building has served as a home for many notable Hong Kong and international businesses for more than 100 years. These merchants, traders and businessmen have witnessed the building’s evolution from a modest four-storey building at the turn of the century, to the bronze skyscraper we see today.
Named after England’s Patron Saint by ardent monarchist Sir Paul Chater, the first St. George’s Building was developed as part of Hongkong Land’s Central District property portfolio, which first started with No. 2 Connaught Road Central (later renamed ‘The New Oriental Building’) in 1898.

By the turn of the century, a further five buildings were completed including St. George’s Building. Designed by prominent architecture firm Leigh & Orange, St. George’s Building displayed the dramatic Edwardian Baroque architecture, heavily favoured by Hong Kong’s early mercantile and trading community.

Home to leading businesses such as Shewan Tomes & Co., the building was serviced by a solitary cage lift, and the office interiors were cooled by ‘punkha wallas’: young men and women employed to pull drapes of cloth to encourage a through-flow of air before the age of air conditioning. The building was purchased outright by Sir Elly Kadoorie in 1928.

Post-war Hong Kong was no longer solely reliant on entrepot trade, but instead, the site of a rapidly expanding manufacturing and tourism scene.

Hong Kong’s commercial district soon reflected this change, whereby the topography of Central’s buildings underwent a dramatic evolution in line with the increasing clamour for central office space. Amidst the changing face of Central, brothers Lawrence Kadoorie (later Lord) and Horace Kadoorie (later Sir) decided to redevelop St. George’s Building to cater to this growing demand. A trio of Chinese, Austrian and Scottish architects were chosen to fulfil the Kadoories’ ‘unique’ and ‘prestige’ design brief. Faitfone Wong had previously designed several of the houses on The Kadoorie Estate, while Walter Marmorek was a celebrated architectural conservator and Peter Womersley – an award-winning architect.

The new 275-foot St. George’s Building was unveiled in 1969, when it was widely acclaimed as one of the earliest aluminium curtain-wall designs in Hong Kong. Two of the earliest tenants were the American Club and the Bank of America. The new building was serviced by nine Schindler lifts, the fastest in Hong Kong at that time, as well as a technologically advanced building management system.
With a total floor area of 183,000 square feet, two retail shops on the ground floor and office units above, St. George’s Building has remained to date, the preferred location for a large range of tenants in Hong Kong, including boutique financial services, private investors and family offices, as well as insurance, legal, personnel, and other specialists.

If you desire a prime office space in Hong Kong for your company, then St. George’s Building is truly exceptional. This destination continues to provide the perfect central office rentals for servicing the needs of Hong Kong’s business and finance hub.

For business and finance professionals alike, St. George’s Building provides a prime yet discreet location at the very heart of the Central Business District, while retaining its distinct character and the same distinguished management standards that the Kadoorie brothers insisted upon from its outset in 1969.

Contact Us
For further information regarding this commercial property for rent, contact us at 2139 7000, or fill out an online enquiry form here.